Art Sales, Rentals,
A New Gallery Show Every Month
Original art is important to community—rural or urban, young, or senior. We take great pride in showing original, authentic work that reflects regional character and beyond. Our gallery artists live and work in southwestern Nova Scotia where they attempt to capture the fabric, colour, and textures of rural Maritime life. Many of our artists are Nova Scotia-born whereas others bring a balance of national and international experiences and education to their art.
On the last Thursday of each month, we gather to take down artwork from the previous month and re-hang with fresh, new pieces. A new show every month. And although two-dimensional, wall art provides the main focus of our gallery, we are very proud of the balance provided by an ever-widening range of quality, three-dimensional work from regional artists.
We are particularly pleased to provide opportunity for newer, emerging artists in the region to step into a public exhibition experience—a very necessary step for artists with professional ambitions. Our Guest Artist Wall features these emerging artists at least three times a year, and for another three months each year features the work of well-established Nova Scotia artists who have achieved recognition at national and international levels.
Tides Contemporary Art Gallery is a non-profit community organization that is involved in many other aspects of arts and cultural programming—ranging from education, public art projects such as murals and sculpture, or helping shape public policy and programming. Our sales commission rate for members or non-members is very low and is further reduced through year-end rebates for members. Most of any year-end surpluses will go into a special Community Arts Fund.
All prices in the gallery include applicable taxes and commissions, but does not include delivery or installation service.
Rentals Give Maximum Flexibility,
Tax Benefits, & Freshness
Art rental programs present an array of options to art lovers, whether the art is for a private office, business, or residence.
For business owners and managers, art rental is a normal business expense for tax purposes, but can easily be turned into large additional benefits for customer appreciation or employee reward. Because all rental payments for a piece of artwork can be used towards the purchase of that particular piece, a business can transfer that purchase option to a customer or employee.
For example, rental rates are normally 5% of the retail value, paid monthly. This means that a company that rents a piece for one year, can allow an art-loving employee or customer to purchase that piece from the Tides Gallery for approximately 25%-30% of retail value.
This rental price can be reduced if renting two or more pieces over an extended period, or by renting a continuous rotation of multiple art pieces for a minimum period of one year or more. For example, an office complex needing 10-15 artworks, but wanting to change the artworks every 4-6 months, could reduce the rental fee to an estimated 4% of value. Some rights of purchase would remain.
For the home owner, renting artwork allows a potential buyer to try a piece for a few months, and then try another piece if the original choice doesn't seem right. Good for the home owner because they end up with a piece they really enjoy, and the gallery ends up with a much more satisfied client.
Rental Fees: single piece
Value of Contract Min.- Max. Rent Period Monthly Fee Rent-to-Own Option
Under $500 3-12 months $25 minimum up to 6-month max.
$501-$1,000 3-12 months 5% up to 12-month max.
$1,001-$2,000 3-14 months 4.75% up to 16-month max.
$2,001 - $5,000 3-14 months 4.5% up to 18-month max.
$5,001 & more 3-16 months 4.0% up to 18-month max
** Customers can combine the total number of rental pieces to increase overall contract value and achieve reduced monthly fee %. For example, a customer can rent several small pieces with individual values that total more than $500 and thus earn a group rental fee of 5%.
*** All rental fees on each piece can be applied to the purchase of that particular piece. Rental fees on one piece cannot be transferred for purchase credit on artwork by a different artist.
Rotate Artwork Every 3, 6, 10, 12 months
Tides Contemporary Art Gallery will work with customers to create a unique rotation program to fit any office or residential need. Customers can have new artwork exchanged on a regular basis for as long as they want. The exchange can be for one piece of art, or as many as 6-15 pieces. The rate of exchange can be from every 3 months, to every 6, 10, 12 months, or more. There are many variables to be determined in consultation between customer and gallery, including style of art, group average values, delivery, installation, etc. Bring us your unique request and we'll find a solution.
Installation, Transportation Fees
Number of Pieces Installation Fee Transportation Fee
1 piece $20 $20
2-5 pieces $40 total $40 total
6-10 pieces $60 total $60 total
11 or more pieces on request on request
Three Examples: To Buy, Rent, or Rent-to-Own?
The following examples are for illustrative purposes only:
Example One: (includes three pieces, average value $2,500)
- Total purchase price: $7,500 incl. taxes
- Rent for 3-18 months: $300 per month
- Rent-to-own: $417 per month, 18 months
Example Two: (includes one or more pieces total value $1,120)
- Total purchase price: $1,120
- Rent for 3-14 months: $53 per month
- Rent-to-own: $70 per month, 16 months
Example Three: (includes one or more pieces total value $700)
- Total purchase price: $700
- Rent for 3-12 months: $35 per month
- Rent-to-own: $58 per month, 12 months
Important Facts In Our Rental Agreement
There are a several important facts in Tides Gallery rental contracts, some of which are listed below:
- Renters are responsible for transporting the rented artwork(s) to the address agreed to in the contract. Rented artwork cannot be relocated to another address without formal approval from Tides Gallery. Renters are responsible for the artwork once it leaves Tides Gallery, up until it is returned and accepted by Tides Gallery.
- Renters are responsible for any damage, loss, or theft of rented artwork and should ensure that their home/office insurance is adequate for terms of the rental contract.
- All copyrights remain the property of the artist and no artworks can be copied, photographed or reproduced in any manner, or used for commercial purposes without the artist's agreement. All artwork remains the property of the artist until such time as he/she has been paid in full for the artwork purchased.
- Renters are required to provide adequate identification and credit card guarantees at the time of rental agreement. Payments can be made by cash, post-dated cheques, e-transfer, or credit card and are due in advance of the agreed monthly, quarterly, or annual schedule.
- The gallery has the right to recall rented artwork if someone other than the renter wishes to purchase the specific rented artwork. The renter will have first right of refusal to purchase the artwork.
"Gift of Art" Certificates
Tides Gallery offers Gift Certificates in varied amounts. These Gift Of Art certificates can be used for any Tides Gallery items.
There is no expiry date.
Please ask gallery staff for assistance.